- 1 1/2 lb Yukon gold potato, peeled
- 1 yellow onion (about 6 oz), peeled
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream for serving
- 1 Tbsp chives, for garnish
- Finely grate the potato and onion using a metal grater with small holes. The mass should be a little coarser than a pure. Place the grated vegetables in a large mesh sieve and lightly press with a large spoon to drain the excess moisture. Transfer the mass to a medium bowl and stir in salt, pepper, and corn starch.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, scoop about 2 tablespoons of grated vegetables and place on a skillet, gently flatten in out with a back of a spoon to form a round pancake. Repeat with the remaining mass. Fry a few pancakes at a time, make sure to not crowd the pan. Fry each pancake until golden and crispy on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Top with sour cream and chives.