Prep Time: 50 min
Cook Time: 40-60 min
- 1/2 chicken – 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, backbone removed
- 2 Tsp – kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 Tsp chili powder large zip
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled and smashed
- 1/2 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Small bunch tarragon, optional
- Cherry tomatoes on the vine, optional
- Rub the chicken with the salt and chili powder. Place in a large ziplock bag and drizzle with lemon juice. Close the bag and let the chicken marinate at room temperature for 45 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- Coat 11-inch NanoBond skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Pat-dry the chicken with a paper towel until it’s completely dry. Place the chicken on a skillet skin side down, cover it with a piece of parchment paper, and place a cast-iron pan or a heavy pot on top.
- Cook the chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until its skin is crispy and golden brown. Then remove the weight and carefully flip the chicken on the other side. Add the crushed garlic, thyme, and lemon slices. Top the chicken with the weight and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. When the chicken is beautifully browned on both sides, remove the weight. If you’re using cherry tomatoes, place them on a skillet near the chicken and transfer everything into the oven. Roast the chicken for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in a thigh reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and top with roughly chopped tarragon and freshly ground black pepper. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.