Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups, serving 3 to 4 as a side
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces (225 to 285g) shishito peppers, stemmed and thinly sliced into rounds (yielding about 3 cups; 200g sliced peppers)
- 2 medium shallots (80g), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves (10g), thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- 1 ounce (30g) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Pinch freshly ground or grated nutmeg
- In a 10-inch skillet or 3-quart saucier, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add shishitos, shallots, and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, until vegetables are softened but not browned and shishitos are still bright green, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, season lightly with salt, and bring to a rapid simmer. Continue to cook, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a rapid simmer, stirring frequently to keep vegetables from sticking and cream from scorching on the sides of the pan, until cream is reduced to a saucy consistency, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add grated cheese and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away, or cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for future use.
Notes: Creamed shishitos can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Gently reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave, adding a little cream as needed to achieve the proper consistency.
Check out the recipe here!